I love hanging summer savoury up to dry in the kitchen. It conjures up visions of favourites like fragrant stuffed squash and herbed cheese biscuits! Admittedly there are more exotic seasoning to be had … but for my money nothing trumps the added flavour of knowing how my food has been raised!
Summer seems to have galloped away and so this will be actually be quite a busy week here! All the last little garden chores seem to pile up in the last week leading up to first frost, eh? On the uptick, the house will smell fabulous and there is the homely comfort of knowing the pantry and herb cupboard will be full 🙂
It really is frosting on the cake that it is cool enough in the evenings that we can all enjoy the comfort of a cozy fire too! Of course, that is all very fine and well for us … but it is a completely different kettle of fish for all the homeless cats around this province! For the strays struggling to get by! For the ferals who are not lucky enough to be part of a tended colony!
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, if it sucks to be a homeless pet in this province that holds true in spades for the kitties! There is no comfy fire for them! No well stocked pantry! Even worse, they are often treated like vermin by people who persist in believing that community cats are somebody else’s problem, eh?
What can one person do? How on earth can they hope to make a difference? Actually … that answer is simple!
What can one person do?
- Be kind! Spay and / or neuter your own cats! It is healthier for them! They will be less likely to wander or engage in less desirable bits like marking. And … if some point in time you are in the horrible position of having to find a new home for your cat .. it is much easier to find a home for one that is already ‘fixed’
- Be a superhero without wearing a cape! Foster! Really … you do not even have to make a career out of it! Fostering just one litter or one cat makes it possible for a rescue or shelter to save THOSE lives, eh?
- Teach your children well! The best way to raise a kind and compassionate pet owner is to set a good example!
- When friends or family are having a baby … help with kitty cuddling and (gasp) litter boxes when baby comes home from the hospital. Everyone knits but no one thinks to help with the pets, eh? Helpful hint … bring a receiving blanket or something that smells like the new babe from the hospital to the home so the kitties can get used to the new scent.
- Clean your closet / attic / basement! Cat rescues are ALWAYS having fundraising auctions. Gently used things are ALWAYS helpful!
What time is it? It is always time to remember that there is no such thing as a little contribution. It all adds up!
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale